The corporate world is often known for its rigid and formal dress code. However, with the changing times, the traditional business attire has also evolved. Nowadays, it is possible to incorporate cultural elements into professional dressing while still maintaining the expected level of professionalism. One such culture that has gained significant attention in recent times is African fashion. In this article, we will explore the idea of dressing for the office in clothing inspired by African fashion.
African fashion is a diverse and rich collection of clothing and accessories that have been inspired by the various cultures and traditions of Africa. From bold prints and vibrant colors to intricate embroidery and beadwork, African fashion has something to offer for everyone. With its unique and eye-catching designs, it is no wonder that African fashion has become increasingly popular in the global fashion industry.
When it comes to dressing for the office, African fashion offers a unique blend of professionalism and cultural identity. By incorporating elements of African fashion into your work wardrobe, you can add a touch of personality and style to your overall look. Here are some tips on how to dress for the office in clothing inspired by African fashion:
- Choose the right prints and colors: African fashion is known for its bold and vibrant prints and colors. However, when it comes to dressing for the office, it is essential to choose prints and colors that are appropriate for a professional setting. Opt for prints that are not too busy or overwhelming, and colors that are muted and subdued. Consider pairing a bold African print blazer with a plain white shirt and neutral pants or skirt.
- Incorporate traditional African fabrics: African fashion is also known for its use of traditional fabrics such as Ankara, Kente, and Dashiki. These fabrics are not only beautiful but also have cultural significance. Consider incorporating these fabrics into your work wardrobe by choosing dresses, skirts, or blouses made from these materials. Just be sure to choose styles that are appropriate for the office.
- Accessorize with African-inspired jewelry: African fashion is also known for its use of intricate beadwork and jewelry. Consider adding a touch of African-inspired jewelry to your work outfit, such as a beaded necklace or bracelet. However, be sure to keep it simple and understated, as too much jewelry can be distracting in a professional setting.
- Choose tailored and well-fitted pieces: When it comes to professional dressing, it is important to choose clothing that is well-fitted and tailored. This not only looks more polished and put together but also conveys a sense of professionalism. Consider investing in a well-tailored African print blazer or dress that fits you perfectly.
- Balance your outfit: When incorporating African fashion into your work wardrobe, it is important to balance your outfit. If you are wearing a bold African print blouse, consider pairing it with neutral pants or a skirt. Similarly, if you are wearing an African print skirt or dress, consider pairing it with a plain top or blouse.
- Keep it modest: When dressing for the office, it is important to keep it modest. This means avoiding clothing that is too revealing or tight-fitting. Choose clothing that is appropriate for your body type and that provides adequate coverage.
- Consider cultural appropriateness: When incorporating African fashion into your work wardrobe, it is important to consider cultural appropriateness. Some prints and fabrics may have cultural significance, and it is important to be respectful of these traditions. Consider doing some research on the cultural significance of different prints and fabrics before incorporating them into your work wardrobe.
In conclusion, incorporating elements of African fashion into your work wardrobe can add a unique and personal touch to your overall look. By choosing the right prints, colors, fabrics, and accessories, you can create a professional and stylish outfit that reflects your cultural identity.
Ready to add some African flare to your office wear? Check out Sirani’s best-selling styles- African print dresses, pencil skirts, mudcloth blazers and jewelries made with brass and bone and featuring African designs.